Altruism:
One example that comes to my mind of when I showed altruism to others would be the other day when I was at Wal-Mart. This is a really simple example, but it reminded me of this. I was walking by the dressing rooms and this old woman that was probably in her late eighties came up to me and said, "Excuse me young lady, I lost my cart and I think someone stole it! Where is it?" In my head I was thinking um are you kidding me? Do i look like a Wal-Mart employee? I easily could've just walked away and finished shopping, because i was in a rush. Then I thought to myself, Leah you're a jerk help the lady. So I told the lady i would help her find her cart so she described the cart, as having a bag of English muffins and saltines in it. Then again i think to myself wow just wow. So then I look around the whole lingerie section for it and it's no where to be found and then i find it on the other side of the dressing room, just sitting in plain view. Right there I knew that I have never seen a eighty year old woman so excited in my entire life. She said to me, Oh my goodness your are just the sweetest girl I have ever met oh my I can't believe you helped me thank you so much." She just kept going on and on. Then I say no problem and walk away. Then from further away i hear her say to another lady, "I just met the nicest girl! She just helped me find my cart I just can't believe how nice she was." Okay so it's a really simple story and pretty dumb, but in the end I felt so much better about myself and well yeah that's it.
Aggression:
An example of aggression would be last year in English class. I had this teacher that I got along with great, and yeah we had a good teacher -student relationship. So one day, at the end of the year I was having a really bad morning already and my teacher kept nagging me about every single thing i did. And it was weird because we usually get along and never argue. We also had a big research paper due the next week which didn't help at all because I needed to focus on that and get it done. I was so frustrated and annoyed with her and me not getting my work done I walked out and left the class. And i might add this is the first time I ever "got kicked out" or left a class in my life. I feel that this is an example of frustration-aggression principle. This is because my own frustration was blocking my attempt to achieve a simple goal. That's my aggression situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
When strangers ask us for help, we always feel kinda awkward. But what you did was a great thing to do, it meant so much to that lady. Aggression always gets the best of us. We all have bad days, so you should not be ashamed of just walking out of class.
That is lovely that you helped that lady at Walmart. It was unselfish of you to help and it seems like she really appreciated it.
It is understandable that you walked out of class that day. You could have handled your aggression in a more negative way.
I don't think your Walmart story was stupid, it's very cute. Old ladies need nice young girls to help them out once in a while. It sucks because you were in a rush, but totally worth being late to brighten someone's day. As far as agression, it's totally inevitable that it will be part of life. Walking out was probably the best thing you could have done.
i wanna know what you did after you left your English class. did you like go home or go to lunch or something? but i have to give you some credit because you could have stayed in the class and argued with the teacher and taken all your anger out on him/her. things could escalate and you could of found yourself in ISS or something. so good idea on leaving :)
Post a Comment